Today we began our trip to the Black Forest, but first stopped in Ulm which is situated on the Danube river,and was founded around 850. It is rich in history and traditions and was also a former Free Imperial City. Internationally, Ulm is primarily known for having the church with the tallest steeple in the world, the Gothic minster (German: Ulmer Münster), and as the birthplace of Albert Einstein.
In the wars following the French Revolution, the city was alternately occupied by French and Austrian forces, with the former ones destroying the city fortifications. During the campaign of 1805, Napoleon managed to trap the invading Austrian army and forced it to surrender. In the mid-19th century, the city was designated a fortress of the German Confederation with huge military construction works directed primarily against the threat of a French invasion.
During WWII, most of the city was destroyed, and was rebuilt in the plain and simple style of the 1950s and 1960s, but some of the historic landmark buildings have been restored, see pictures below. The last picture shows Leslie with our rental car, a Fiat 500c, which could only do about 70 mph down a hill, while we were being passed on the autobahn by cars going over 140 mph.