We made a quick stop at Cadillac Ranch (first 3 pictures) on our way out of Amarillo. Cadillac Ranch was invented and built by a group of art-hippies from San Francisco. They called themselves The Ant Farm, and their silent partner was Amarillo billionaire Stanley Marsh. He wanted a piece of public art that would baffle the locals, and the hippies came up with a tribute to the evolution of the Cadillac tail fin. Ten Caddies were driven into one of Stanley Marsh’s fields, then half-buried, nose-down, in the dirt (supposedly at the same angle as the Great Pyramid of Giza). They faced west in a line, from the 1949 Club Sedan to the 1963 Sedan de Ville, their tail fins held high for all to see on the empty Texas panhandle.
That was in 1974. People would stop along the highway, walk out to view the cars — then deface them or rip off pieces as souvenirs. Stanley Marsh and The Ant Farm were tolerant of this public deconstruction of their art — although it doomed the tail fins — and eventually came to encourage it. The Cadillacs have now been in the ground as art longer than they were on the road as cars. They are a popular place for tourists to come and spray paint whatever they like. As a result, the art continually changes.
We stopped by University of Oklahoma for a t-shirt for Don. No pictures because there was no place to park. We had to have more barbecue for dinner. Not quite as good as last night’s, but pretty close.